Thursday, January 7, 2010

Turkey Tetrazzini

We're taking dinner to a friend's house today.  I can always find something to eat when I'm a guest, even if it's the peanuts and apple I always have stashed in my purse or car, but it's often easier to volunteer to bring something I know I can have.  I don't like putting people to the trouble of worrying about what I can eat, though I appreciate their caring and thoughtfulness!  Last week, one sweet friend came up with the ingredients to make a lovely egg scramble with mushrooms, cheese, sour cream, and the salsa I had brought as a gift, while they heated up leftover chili for the rest of them.  It was delicious!  But I wouldn't feel comfortable letting many friends do that...it takes a certain kind of friendship to accept the idea that you're making them go to a lot of trouble.  :)

And certainly these friends we're seeing tonight are that sort, but I was going to make this recipe before my daughters go back to college, and this is the only remaining "cooking" day.

This is an adaptation of a recipe from my favorite crockpot blog.  I made this once before, substituting 4 cups of frozen zucchini (from my garden) in place of the broth, and I called it "Turkey Tetrazzini Soup."  It was amazingly delicious and I can't wait to have it again.  The hardest part is limiting my intake to about two ounces at a time and stopping before I feel full.  But I can have another serving an hour later, and even a third, if I want (and if there's time before bed)!  For "normal" people, this can be served over spaghetti, but it can also be enjoyed in a bowl, with a little parmesan on top.  Eat it with broccoli on the side to add some fiber to the whole meal.

The reason I call for baby peas is that mature peas and beans make me sleepy (too high in carbs, maybe?), but young peas are fine.  And wine in this quantity doesn't seem to make a difference to me.




Turkey Tetrazzini

1-3 lbs. of turkey tenderloin, cut in 1" chunks
1 lb. slice portabello mushrooms
1 sweet onion, diced
1-2 cups fresh or frozen baby peas
2 small jars marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
8 oz. cream cheese, cut in 1" chunks
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
2 cups turkey broth (or 2-4 cups frozen shredded zucchini, if you have it)
1/2 cup white wine
1/3 cup white spelt flour
1/3 cup cold water

Oil or spray a large crockpot.  Layer the ingredients in order, starting with the turkey chunks.  Cook on low for 4-6 hours.  Mix flour and water until smooth.  Add some hot liquid from the crockpot and stir again.  Add flour mixture to crockpot, and stir while it thickens.  Salt to taste and serve with shredded parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment