Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Once I assembled a basic daily menu that didn't put me to sleep, I started introducing foods one at a time, to test their effect on me.  I used the glycemic index as a guide, but didn't let it stop me from trying something a little higher up.  It turns out that fiber is a key player, and if you can distract your digestive system with fiber, a few extra glycemic index points can piggyback their way past the pancreas.  Apples, for instance, clock in at 38, but they are so high in fiber that there's no sleep effect.  Equally, if I pulverize a fibrous food into powder, its superpowers are gone; there's no protection against the Kryptonite (I mean insulin).

Fat, like fiber, has a similar camouflage effect on carbs, and the great news about fat is that it doesn't make you fat.  What puts fat on your body is insulin converting your carb intake into stored energy.  Fat isn't completely off the hook, if your arteries are the fat-collecting type, but it's not the meanie that makes you outgrow your favorite jeans.  Blame the carb+insulin combo, and eat instead from the list below.

The List of Foods that Don't Make Me Sleepy, Provided I Eat Slowly and Snackingly*

Vegetables

Artichoke
Asparagus
Broccoli
Cabbage
Celery
Chard
Cucumber
Garlic
Green beans (fresh)
Green peas (baby, fresh)
Lettuce
Onions
Peppers
Squash (summer & winter)
Sweet potatoes
Tomatoes
Zucchini

Fruit

Apples
Blackcurrants
Cherries
Elderberries
Plums
Prunes
Raspberries
Strawberries

Nuts

Coconuts (shredded, flour)
Peanuts
Pecans
Walnuts

Dairy

Butter
Cheese
Cream cheese
Half and half
Heavy cream (whipping cream)
Kefir
Milk (in small quantities)
Sour cream 

Condiments

Mayonnaise (the full-fat variety)
Mustard
Tamari or soy sauce (wheat-free)
Vinegar
Wine (for use in cooking)

Sweeteners

Agave nectar
Stevia
Molasses (in tiny amounts) 

Oils and Fats

Butter
Chocolate (unsweetened, baking)
Grapeseed oil (for frying)
Light olive oil (for baking)
Olive oil
Tallow (rendered beef fat)

Grains

Barley
Spelt flour (in small quantities) 

Protein

Beef
Eggs
Fish
Goat
Lamb
Turkey (also chicken for those who can eat it, but I can’t)
Venison

* These are the foods that check out so far, but the list is by no means complete yet.

2 comments:

  1. I was curious about the nuts. You did not list almonds or hazel nuts which have a GI value of zero. Why can't you eat those too?

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina, I did try almonds, and they didn't pass the sleep test. The GI isn't a surefire guide for me, I have to try everything individually. And I'll be posting later about another possible factor, which is that what I ate yesterday may affect how I react to the food I eat today. I might have to try almonds again. :)

    ReplyDelete