Thursday, January 7, 2010

Foods I can't eat

These foods didn't make the cut.  I tried them, and lost a few hours to Morpheus.  Either they have too many carbs, are too high on the glycemic index, or they aren't high enough in fiber.

Potatoes
Pumpkin
Melon
Almonds
Peaches
Peas (mature ones--the fresh baby ones are fine)
Green beans (canned)
Carrots
Cauliflower
Orange juice
Pears
Oatmeal

That's not to say that these foods aren't worth another try.  In my meandering research I found (and did not bookmark) a website that mentioned the possibility that what I eat today affects how my body reacts to what I eat tomorrow.  So I could have a postprandial reaction due to eating sugar/carbs (or just overeating at one sitting), and react the same way to, say, almonds, when I eat them tomorrow.  But if I try almonds after eating carefully for a while, they may not push me over the edge.  I'll definitely revisit some of the rejected foods (when I have time to nap!).

Of course, there are many foods I didn't even try, like dates, or pasta, because there's no point.  Anything made of wheat/grain is on the "no" list, and anything that's high on the GI, like dates, isn't going to be likely enough to risk a trial.

I'm happy to say that there are acceptable alternatives for most of the "no" foods.  Stay tuned for my friend Sally's squash pie recipe, sweetened with agave instead of brown sugar!  In a flavor contest, a Hubbard squash pie would beat a pumpkin pie any day of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment